Sunday 20 December 2009

ALBUM REVIEW: BON JOVI - THE CIRCLE


I love Bon Jovi. Let's just get that out of the way. I will admit that some times they bore me to tears (and I can't stand bland country-rock either) but when they get it right, they really get it right. I didn't listen to Lost Highway. The reported Nashville-ness of it left me cold so I never coughed up the cash for it.

When I heard that Bon Jovi were "going back to the rock" with their new album I was more relieved than anything else. Having seen Bon Jovi in top form at Croker a few years ago, I know they can rock a stadium and desperately wanted another album to reflect that. The good news is that The Circle is indeed filled with anthemic songs bristling with blue-collar earnestness and lighter in the air moments. Lead single "We Weren't Born To Follow" is good, if a little lazy. How come all their lead singles seem to "go out" to someone? "Tommy & Gina", "The ones who stood their ground"... I could go on.

But i digress. there are some stellar JBJ songs on this. "Live Before You Die" and "Brokenpromiseland" in particular stand out. It's safe, unassuming stadium pop-rock but I'll be damned if they arent the best at it.

Verdict: **** (4/5)

No comments: